Thursday, March 19, 2015

Finding Roommates

The great thing about Disney creating their DORMS application is that now you can make sure that you are getting the roommates that you want (even though it really isn't a guarantee, they try to keep together the roommates that you list over the location). Since they now make it so easy, everyone is on the hunt for the perfect roommates for their semester in Disney.

It all starts with the Roommate Survey. Here is mine below: (Sorry it's long haha!)

Name: Julie Heider
Gender: Female
Orientation: Straight
Relationship Status: Single
Birthday/Age: August 8 - I'll be turning 24 on the program
From: New Jersey
School: Southern New Hampshire University
Major: MS Human Resource Management
Are you allergic/allergies to anything?: Nothing major. 
Do you have any siblings? 2 - One Sister and One brother.. both younger
DCP DETAILS
Are you applying for WDW or DL? WDW
Flying or Driving: Driving and keeping my car
Your Role?: Hospitality
What program are you applying for? Fall Advantage
Do you want to live in Wellness or Non-Wellness? Non-Wellness
How many people do you want to live with? would prefer 4 total
Which housing complex would you like to live in?: In order: Commons or Chatham
Alumni? YES! Spring Advantage 2011
LIFESTYLE
Do you party? How often? I like to have fun! Love to go out and try new place. More of a bar person than a club person. Also love nights in and cuddling with Netflix
Do you smoke? No
Do you drink? yes
Can you cook? I can hold my own. I make killer Enchiladas!! (in a good way)
Are you a night person or morning person? Definitely more a night person
Do you snore? Not that I know of
What does your bedroom normally look like? Sometimes I can have some clothes thrown around, but thats it. The life of a girl trying to get dressed...
Do you like it when your room is hot or cold? I'm always cold so I usually have a sweatshirt with me anyway so it doesn't really matter.
Would you rather go out or stay in? Depends on the day! 
What do you like to do on your days off/the weekend? Definitely go to the parks or explore since I will have my car. Then sometimes I just like to binge watch Friends on Netflix. 
Do you work out a lot? I try! I am planning on running the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February so I'm sure I'll be training.
Three words that describe you: Creative, Spontaneous, Fun
One good quality: I am very go with the flow at times and can just find something fun to do when it seems like there is nothing.
Are you outgoing or quiet? Outgoing
Do you like hanging out with people or keeping to yourself? Definitely love to have people around me!
What would you want in a roommate? Someone easy-going that doesn't mind a little chaos at times haha. 
What are your biggest pet peeves/dislikes? People that don't know personal boundaries and are very close minded. 
Are you messy or organized? I like to say I am an organized mess haha but usually it is just clothes. everything else is organized.
How do you feel about sharing? I don't mind as long as someone asks. 99% of the time i will say yes!
Do you like having people over a lot? As long as everyone is ok with it then I don't mind. Just not until like 4 am.
Favorite thing to do: Definitely the parks! Going out to eat or to a bar, watch Netflix. I also like to craft - paint and such.
Favorite Music: I can get into anything. Death Cab, Paramore, Taylor Swift, Mumford and Sons, Avicii, Calvin Harris... really go for anything haha
Favorite TV Shows: Orange is the New Black, Friends, BMS, Downton Abbey, Doctor Who
Favorite Movies: Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, Disney.. anything haha
Christmas movie?: Elf. 
Favorite Food: pizza! or quesadillas!
Favorite Candy: Dots and Starburst
Favorite Drink: Sweet Tea.... Moscato smile emoticon
Favorite Color: Hunter Green
DISNEY!
Favorite Character: Snow White! 
Favorite Movie: Thats way too hard! Just to say something I will say Meet the Robinsons!!
Favorite Disney Channel Show: Kim Possible, Phineas and Ferb
Favorite Park: EPCOT
Favorite Ride: Test Track!


The best thing to do is to find your arrival date's Facebook page and join! This way you're connecting with people that will be moving in the same day as you. Apparently, there is something new this year that you do not have to room with people from your move in day, but I find it is easier to coordinate if everyone is arriving on the same day.


The best advice that I can give you is to talk to everyone! Don't just talk to those who look great in their survey. Not only could you find someone that you click with, but these people could be living across the hall from you or you could be working with them. Everyone is excited and it's a great way to start meeting the people that you are going to be living around for the next 3-6 months! Also, be honest. If you're not comfortable with a few people after you've been talking, just say you want to go in a different direction. Or if you're really looking to live in a 6 or 8 person apartment, make sure to let any potential roommates know your preferences. You don't want to settle for something that after a month, you're not going to be happy with.

The housing preferences portal only opens 10 days before your arrival date. Take you're time in finding someone that you mesh with for a roommate, and spend time meeting everyone else and sharing in the excitement together! As they say in High School Musical:


Corny I know..

No comments:

Post a Comment